All around the country, breast augmentation is a common topic of conversation. Whether we’re talking about Angelina Jolie’s inspirational story, whether or not so-and-so got breast implants, or just considering them for ourselves, breast augmentation has been the most popular cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States and we love talking about it. However, there are still several things about plastic surgery that many people are still unclear about.
- Saline and Silicone implants are not the same thing. The new silicone implants have a much more natural look and feel while the saline implants are rounder. Silicone implants have been gaining significant popularity over the cheaper saline implants.
- Breast implants do not increase the risk of you getting breast cancer! One of the biggest myths circling breast cancer is that getting implants will make you more vulnerable to breast cancer. While this is untrue, it is a good idea to inform your doctor of any history of breast cancer in your family in order to avoid any complications.
- Implants will not interfere with mammograms. While a couple more x-rays may be necessary to see the tissue behind the implant, they do not directly interfere with the mammogram.
- Stretch marks are not common with implants. Unless you are planning on getting the larger sized implants, stretch marks should not be an issue.
- Implants will not cause sagging. Because breast implants are more resistant to sagging than your natural breast tissue is, you will not have to worry about any abnormal or extra sagging from the implants.
If you have been considering a breast augmentation, board certified Dr. Elisa Burgess would love to discuss your various options with you and clear up any further confusion you may have about the procedure. Here at Burgess Plastic Surgery, we believe in keeping our patients informed so that they have an absolutely pleasing and rewarding experience.